The D&D DM tools are a work in progress, but are starting to be more and more functional. I currently use them to run my campaign, and they are a great help. So you can download them at your own risk, and you can file bugs with the Bugzilla server if you want. If you would like to get an account on it, just create one and an email will be sent to you with your temporary password. If you just want to browse the bugs, enhancement requests, and todo items, you can do that without creating an account.
I’ve decided to continue developing the tools for 3.5 edition, though the development pace will slow down, as I have other interesting projects going on at home. If you are looking for support for the Pathfinder RPG, I will be adding that to the GGP.
If you want to send me feedback about these tools, please do go to the D&D 3.5 Edition DM Tools discussion forum. I will try to answer questions there. You can get my development blog for the tools in the forum as well. It talks about what happened in the past development sessions, and where my mind is with respect to the tools. There is a tutorial donated by one of the users available for the tools as well.
This software is based on the Microsoft .Net Framework v3.5. It is available from the critical update service in Windows. In IE, just click on Tools/Windows Update. If you can’t get to it, you can download it from Microsoft directly.
The Player client uses Adobe AIR technology, you can get it from Adobe here.
|Version Name||Build Date||Size||Build Notes|
|0.43.2||07/30/2011||12.5M||Includes the full release of the tools. This is a bug fix release, with no new features added.
NOTE: This release contains a complete rewrite of the equipment system. If you have equipment files that are organized following the original released magic item format (Wondorous Items, Rods, Staffs, etc) and not using the new Magic Item Compendium format, you must update items in those files before running the game. To do this, just install the new tools, run equipment editor, load your custom data files, and for all old item types, just right click on each one and convert it to either a tool or a clothing item.
|0.43.2 – Player Client||07/30/2011||864K||The Player Client application. This is a bug fix release, with no new features added. Looks like something changed in the installer, and you will have to uninstall previous versions of the client first. Includes an application that lets players view basic information about their characters on a different computer. Uses Adobe AIR technology.|
|Integration Builds – Intermediate builds of the next release. I make these when a set of functionality is complete and I want to throw it out to people to experiment with it and give me feedback and look for bugs. Some of these can be unstable, so please do not use them for running your games. Download these if you want to help me find bugs or experiment with the upcoming features. Please back up your files before using these builds!|
|Version Name||Build Date||Size||Build Notes|
|0.44.0-2011-06-27||06/27/2011||14.5M||This integration build contains updates to the Player Client protocol to allow Player Clients that run on mobile devices like the iPad and XOOM, or even smart phones. Also includes the beginning of equipment management through the Player Client.|
|0.44.0-2011-06-27 Player Client||06/27/2011||1.17M||Includes updates for displaying a PC’s equipment list, though no management features work yet.|
0.43.2 – (07/30/2011)
- Bug 471: Weapon proficiency not taken into account with specific weapons
- Bug 472: Sword, Short vs Short Sword
0.43.1 – (05/17/2011)
- Bug 461: If you set the number of levels PCs have maximum hits points for to something other than 1, the campaign file will not load
- Bug 463: Creature Editor crashes when trying to add new creatures
- Bug 465: The list of classes & levels is not updated when adding a new class
- Bug 467: Fractional hit dice not handled properly
0.43.0 – (05/07/2011)
- Bug 304: Special primary materials are slightly bugged
- Bug 381: Revamp the gear item naming system to allow for human readable names and sorting names
- Bug 392: Convert the vision special ability system to an effect based one
- Bug 431: Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting doesn’t work right
- Bug 441: When double clicking on a campaign file, data files fail to load sometimes
- Bug 445: Favored Soul Bug
- Bug 453: Caster level calculations for magic weapons and armor doesn’t work
- Enhancement 380: Add support for Augment Crystals
- Enhancement 383: Duration: Until the end of your turn needs to be supported.
- Enhancement 386: Add a new effect: Breathing
- Enhancement 391: Add a prerequisite of breathing.
- Enhancement 401: Prerequisite system: allow for prestige classes requirements
- Enhancement 447: Support a house rule that allows you not to count item weight in any calculations
- Enhancement 449: Add challenge rating information to the add creature dialog in some form.
- Added the ability to edit existing effect groups in all the editors. Just double click on effect group and you can edit it.
- Added the ability to create custom toolbars, assign hot keys to menu items, and in general to customize the menu layout and behavior.
- All items are now converted to the new item data format that was specified in the Magic Item Compendium.
0.42.9 – (02/11/2010)
Updated the location of the registration service to be at the new web site. Old versions of the software will not be able to register any more.
0.42.8 – (01/09/2010)
- Bug 295: Serious performance problem found in the time processing code
- Bug 435: Issues with flags not resetting when removing a combatant from combat
- Numerous other minor bugs found during a 2 week gaming session
0.42.7 – (12/15/2009)
- Bug 428: World tab causes unhandled exception
- Bug 429: Monkey Grip isn’t working with 2H Weapons.
- Bug 430: Monkey grip feat is not entirely correct.
- Bug 432: Empty config files causes the application to not be startable.
- Enhancement 420: Add the ability to manage spell lists in the player client.
- All of the data from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells is now in.
0.42.6 – (11/18/2009)
- Bug 419: Show arcane spell failure in the main pc screen, the printed spell sheets, and the player client.
- Bug 422: Can’t Create PCs
- Bug 423: Can’t to combat without PC’s involvement.
- Bug 425: Program crashes when selecting feats for a Monk
0.42.5 – (10/23/2009)
- Bug 343: Creature editor has no way to specify alignment?
- Bug 416: Divide by zero exception when adding a custom creature to combat
- Enhancement 350: Add arcane spell failure rolls and adjustments
- Enhancement 359: Add the ability to skip dead, dying, and unconscious creatures in combat rotation
- Some data from Oriental Adventures is now included. The individual data files are called “Oriental Adventures.dd3*”.
0.42.4 – (10/09/2009)
- Fixed a problem with setting alignment to always any on creatures and races.
- Enhancement 373: It would be good if there was a place on the PCs Info to save the PCs Pictures.
- Enhancement 409: Allow the switching of the temperature displays from Fahrenheit to Celcius
- Enhancement 410: Add a basic die roller panel to Campaign Manager
0.42.3 – (09/17/2009)
- Bug 263: Feat Administration – Can’t remove/change
- Enhancement 371: Add the ability to Kill creatures in combat
- Enhancement 408: Campaign Manager needs to support creature alignments.
0.42.1 – (09/08/2009)
- Enhancement 396: Add a house rules tab to the campaign settings where rules that people asked for can be managed
- Enhancement 397: Add the house rule that allows improved critical to stack with keen
- Enhancement 403: Add support for the take 1/2 damage from damage type
- Enhancement 404: Immunity to Weapon Type
0.42.0 – (06/11/2009)
- Bug 114: Finish work on formulas
- Bug 185: Allow the changing of tabs in read-only data files in the editors.
- Bug 237: Creatures that take cleric levels as their “cast spells as” ability have their domains and domain spell slots screwed up
- Bug 298: When you have a tree of campaign notes or regions, deletions don’t work right
- Bug 299: Some features are hidden and not reachable depending on the size and resolution of the screen
- Bug 310: Weapon Focus (ray / ranged spell) not selectable
- Bug 313: Incorporeal creatures were using their non-existent strength score for melee attack modifiers
- Bug 326: When choosing immunity in add effects, the condition is not filled correctly at start
- Bug 327: The prerequisites control needs to be a tree really
- Bug 336: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
- Bug 341: Creature/NPC descriptions not available in the main program
- Bug 342: Easy to accidently change race in creature editor
- Bug 352: crashes when open PC character
- Bug 357: The player client disconnects after a few minutes of inactivity
- Bug 358: New Integration for v.42 5-30-09 fails installer integrity check.
- Enhancement 64: Finish the weather system.
- Enhancement 122: Add effects to feats based on choices made.
- Enhancement 167: Show attack bonuses with the equipped weapons.
- Enhancement 196: Finish the display of weapon stats in the combat screen
- Enhancement 271: Create attack groups and primary and secondary attacks in the creature editor
- Enhancement 318: Add support for the Spellcasting Prodigy feat
- Enhancement 323: Add the ability to color code groups of creatures by faction in the combat screen
- Enhancement 329: Show the description of items in the details panel / hook feat description into the details panel
- Enhancement 330: Add a confirmation requirement when adding feats with special prerequisites
- Enhancement 332: Add a new feat type: Regional
- Enhancement 333: Add OK and Another to the add prerequisite dialog
- Enhancement 335: Add the ability to select alignments for feats.
- Enhancement 337: Add a SpellSlot math formula variable used when casting spells
- Enhancement 344: Add the ability to use up ammunition in the right click menu of a combatant
- Enhancement 346: Add an optional spell slot level for gaining domain spell slots.
- Enhancement 348: Add the ability to add custom effects to specific gear items.
- Several books and the campaign setting for Kingdoms of Kalamar is now included. The individual data files are called “Kingdoms of Kalamar.dd3*”.
- All the creatures from Monster Manual IV have been entered. The data file is called “Monster Manual IV.dd3cr”.
- Data for the module Barrow of the Forgotten King is now included.
0.41.8 – (02/25/2009)
- Bug 319: Using the manual spell slot adjustment when preparing spells is broken
- Added a combat information screen to the player client.
- Numerous crashes and issues fixed.
0.41.7 – (02/08/2009)
- Numerous crashes and issues fixed in the cast spell dialog.
0.41.6 – (02/07/2009)
- Bug 317: A crash happens in the loot tab of the combat screen when you change the group by drop down.
0.41.5 – (01/28/2009)
- Bug 316: Problems with prerequisites of skills with subskills.
0.41.4 – (01/27/2009)
- Bug 315: Calculations for an assassin spells known is wrong
0.41.3 – (01/15/2009)
- Bug 293: Add a regional check box to the language editor.
- Bug 294: Start Session not working
- Bug 301: manual closed panels don’t update the View Menu
- Bug 302: Targeting control should reverse the meaning of save and sr check boxes
- Bug 309: Refreshing the detailed creature view doesn’t work right.
- Added active running effects to the Player Client.
- Enabled drag and drop moving of world regions.
- Enhancement 35: Add morphology to creatures.
- Enhancement 305: Add arms / hands and primary and off hands information to creatures
- Added a set of morphology information controls for races and creatures. People with custom data files should fill these in for their custom races and creatures. This will be used for weapon wielding information in 0.42.0.
- Enhancement 306: Enter all morphology and primary and off hand information for all races and creatures
0.41.2 – (01/01/2009)
- Bug 292: Exception on Save.
0.41.1 – (12/31/2008)
- Bug 287: When the application starts and it’s set to start the player client server, it doesn’t start up correctly
- Bug 288: Bug in the spell lists when creating or editing a new class still remains.
- Bug 289: Adding a player triggers NullReferenceException
0.41.0 – (12/27/2008)
- Bug 203: All things that have effects should support effect groups
- Bug 241: Crash when opening/editing a feat.
- Bug 242: Ability bug
- Bug 248: Renaming of NPCs is broken again.
- Bug 253: Double clicking on a root tree node in the add gear dialog adds a corrupted gear item to the inventory.
- Bug 254: Adding Gear to sets
- Bug 257: Spells of level greater than 0 cannot be added to the Spell lists of a new class.
- Bug 262: Edit PC – Set HP
- Bug 261: When the starting playing session check box is enabled, Campaign Manager never asks to start playing a session
- Added simple Player Client support to the Campaign Manager. The player client can be run on a separate machine by players, and can be used to show information about a PC. To enable the Player Client Server, go to the Tools/Options menu item and click on the Player Client Server tree item. To install the Player Client on the target machine, you must first install the Adobe AIR runtime. There is a PlayerClient.air file that gets installed in the root install directory of the tools that can be used to install the Player Client onto a target machine. When the client is more finalized, I will publish a protocol spec, so others can write their own clients.
- Enhancement 2: See what effects a creature or PC is under during combat.
- Enhancement 70: Add the ability to drag and drop npc groups around
- Enhancement 84: Drag and drop PCs onto the combat screen.
- Enhancement 246: Add support for long spell casting times.
- Enhancement 258: Add a tree of notes to the campaign.
- Enhancement 260: Support permanent, concetration, and until discharged spells.
- Enhancement 264: Handle xp costs when casting spells
- Enhancement 265: Effect infos displayed in the combat screen for spells
- Enhancement 272: Create an advanced cast spell dialog
- Enhancement 274: Add the ability to drop NPC groups onto the combat screen
- Enhancement 275: Add the ability to delete a group and all of the NPCs in that group
0.40.5 – (06/20/2008)
- Fixed bug 252: Parsing some math formulas fails on different language windows versions.
0.40.4 – (04/03/2008)
- Fixed bug: In 0.40.3 you could not edit any fields that used a math formula.
- Fixed bug: 0.40.2 loses prepared spell lists when migrating from 0.40.1 on NPCs and PCs.
- Fixed bug 240: Error creating seasons and setting full moon dates.
- Enhancement: Campaign Manager has new icons and main menu.
- Enhancement: Added more spell details in the magic editor.
- Enhancement: Stability fixes in all of the editors.
0.40.1 – (03/09/2008)
- Fixed bug 238: Trait and Flaw effects are not calculated right.
0.40.0 – (03/02/2008)
- Fixed bug 219: Custom gear files not read when adding gear to PC/NPC.
- Fixed bug 230: Can’t add the returning property to a short spear.
- Fixed bug 232: Daily spell slots not calculated correctly for less than perfect spell casters.
- Fixed bug 235: Prepared spell list doesn’t work for NPCs with “Cast spells as”.
- Fixed bug 236: Incorrect figures for Favored Soul class spell calculations.
- Enhancement 87: Finish spell memorization support.
- Enhancement 226: Create a “same as” effect.
- Enhancement 231: Add the ability to manage spell slots for spontaneous casters.
- Enhancement 233: Add a generic details panel that will display details of any item selected in the gui. Currently only some spell, psionic power, soulmeld, and invocation information is shown for the items that have the information entered into the data files. If you go into a PC / NPC screen and select one of known / memorized items, it will show up in the details view, with all the variable fields filled in for the caster / manifester / meldshaper level.